Saturday, January 7, 2012

How do you grow a bonsai from an azalea bush?

I remember reading in a book that it is possible to train a bush or shrub into a bonsai. I'm thinking of doing that with a bush that grows azaleas. But were can I get such a bush? It would have be small enough considering how I want it to be an indoor bonsai.|||You get a small, young shrub from your local nursery. Check them out in the srping when they get their new stock. Or check in their greenhouses for bonsai plants already started.|||Azaleas are NOT indoor plants, it will die in about 6 months if you keep it inside. However, it will make a good bonsai as would MOST any other bush or tree. Get a good bonsai book and it will show you how to train and plant a bush/tree for bonsai. You may also want to read the Bonsai Care section of my site:


http://www.american-bonsai.com for more tips. I also have several nice azalea bushes that are "pre-bonsai" (partially trained for bonsai).|||Prune it to keep it small ..don't go crazy it can take years...a little at a time...and also prune the roots back by a quarter each year...


I like how I get the thumbs down...Ok don't prune it,it'll do it itself..or buy a stick from an overpriced stick merchant...|||Yes, Azaleas make good bonsai. But they do not grow well indoors.





Most nurseries I've been to sell azaleas. They are easy to find. Get one and learn how to keep it happy Then you can begin training it and trimming it.





Have fun.|||Not all trees and shrubs are adaptable as an indoor bonsai. Azalea is one of them.





You could grow one and train it later if it reaches the wanted height. Or you could buy one from a nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment