Saturday, January 7, 2012

How do I prepare my outdoor bonsai tree for winter?

I have three juniper bonsai trees that are "outdoor trees." I live in Chicago, and wanted to take the appropriate steps to ensure that my trees make it back next year. I pruned them all and thinned out the roots in spring. I did fertilize once in spring as well. All three look very healthy, and I just am looking for pointers on what to do for the winter. Thanks in advance!|||Please read the Bonsai Care pages on my site:


http://www.american-bonsai.com about winterizing outdoor bonsai.


Do whatever you need to do to keep them above 30, but let them get down to 30 for most of your winter. Don't forget to water them about weekly. Of course, snow packed on the soil will be excellent water. Some of the things you can do.....1) Keep them in the garage or a tool shed, 2) Bury the pot in a flower bed and mulch it, or 3) Keep them in styrofoam containers insulated with newspapers. You're welcome to email me at:


wchoat@american-bonsai.com with more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment